Stress, Tension and Relaxation
Stress contributes to most diseases, directly or indirectly. It is a major cause of anxiety, depression, and addition. Stress damages relationships. It contributes to unhappiness. Knowing how to reduce your stress will improve your quality of life.
In this website you will learn:
- The causes of stress and tension
- How to relax your body and mind
- The health benefits of relaxation
There are two kinds of stress. External stress is what happens around you, and internal stress, also called tension, is what you feel. Tension is how you respond to external stress. The focus of this website is on reducing tension because this is what you can control.
External stress is mostly unavoidable. If you have to deal with people or go to work every day, the only way you can avoid external stress is by avoiding life. On the other hand, you can do something about your tension. (Most people use the terms internal stress, stress, and tension interchangeably.)
The goal of stress management is to reduce tension. Stress management is not about managing external stress, but about changing the way you respond to stress. It is about reducing the effects of stress. If there is anything you can do about external stress, you’ll see it more clearly and deal with it more effectively when you are relaxed.
You make yourself tense in a few basic ways:
- Dwelling on the past or the future
- Focusing on fears
- Going over resentments
- Trying to control things you can’t control
All the tension you feel is caused by some combination of the above. Guilt, for example, is due to dwelling on the past, resentment, and fear.
How you deal with stress may be the only thing you need to change in order to be happier. The way you internalize stress and turn it into tension has emotional and physical consequences. Tension makes it hard to appreciate your life. It’s hard to enjoy your life when you’re rushing through it. Tension destroys your relationships. It’s hard to be open when you are tense. Maybe there is nothing else you need to change. Maybe your tension is turning a perfectly good life into a perfectly miserable one.
In the book "I Want to Change My Life" you'll learn:
- The underlying causes of tension
- Simple but effective relaxation techniques
- The key to relaxing your body and mind
- Breathing techniques to let go of tension
- How to deal with distractions and stay focused
- How and why relaxation works
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- A one-month relaxation program to get you started